Thursday, November 19, 2009

Man is the Measure of all Things

This week I attended the 'Introduction to Humanism and Ethical Culture' course conducted by Dr. Joseph Chuman at the Ethical Culture Society in Teaneck.

I was reminded of a course I took many years ago in college, 'Old Testament Literature.' I remember then, the amazement I experienced when I became aware of the pervasiveness of Judeo-Christian themes in our modern lives. I felt the same shock when I started to understand better the history of Humanism and it's impact on our modern organizations both in human thought, spirit and institutions through the ages.

When the ancient Greeks first came to the task of designing an educational program with the goal of enhancing the humanity in the educated individual, a massive shift in philosophy was taking place. The focus was no longer on the deities but on man, for the good of men, by making the most of his mind and unleashing his creativity.

However, it was also made clear that the humanities were not designed to deny the existence of god, only to shift the thinking of he/she/it from the foreground to the background. Since my views on god are currently ambivalent, this is a welcome insight. I don't have to decide. In humanism, "man is the measure of all things;" a statement by an ancient Greek philosopher and shared nicely in both Greek and English by Dr. Chuman.

I'm looking forward to part II of this course which will focus on Ethical Culture, it's birth and it's expression of humanistic ideals.

1 comment: