Sunday, November 01, 2009

Help for that Elevator Speech

One of the biggest challenges I often have is explaining to others what my 'religion' is. Even though I personally don't think of Humanism as a religion per se, many others do and anyway, it is an accurate reflection of my world view when it comes to the question 'what do you believe?"

As Dr. Chuman the leader of ECS of BC often states, it's not that we are non-believers, Humanists have many beliefs and values. It is however, not as well immediately understood as saying 'I am Jewish' or 'I am a Christian.' Dale McGowen in the recent workshop Parenting Beyond Belief at the Ethical Culture Society suggested as a way of interfacing with a religious world one should have and practice an 'elevator speech.' An 'elevator speech' is a quick an efficient way of representing ourself so as not to be left stumbling for the explanation.

In November I'll be participating in a two night Adult Education program, "Introduction to Humanism and Ethical Culture." I hope to understand more comprehensively the tradition of Ethical Culture and secular humanism so that I can really have a slamming 'elevator speech!' Check it out on the ethicalfocus.org website. Learn what it means to call yourself a humanist!

No comments:

Post a Comment