Sunday, February 08, 2009

This I Believe: Bob Gordon

As delivered to the Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County on Sunday, February 8, 2009:

I WAS ASKED TO GIVE A SHORT TALK, INSPIRED BY THE NPR SERIES, “THIS I BELIEVE.”

I HAD A FIT … [THAT’S THE TITLE]

THIS IS [PART OF] WHAT I BELIEVE

I recently read a NY Times Magazine article on discovering his genome, by Steven Pinker, a Harvard College Professor of Psychology.

Pinker described a mix of three determinants that distinguish the individual: nature, nurture, and “brute chance.” He used this latter term, in part, to account for changes in the chemical soup that can affect a biological entity (such as gene mutation). Alterations can occur to gene components, affecting the actions of those that control when - or if - an activity starts or stops, or the faithfulness of replication.

How, when and to what extents the three determinants contribute are unpredictable variables.

Aside from the fascinating science – or conjecture, if you prefer - what resonated with me … what I found useful and appealing … is the way Pinker references attributes that describe the individual, such as one’s natural inclinations to novelty-seeking, sensation seeking, sexual preference, religiosity, political orientation, openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, neuroticism, selfishness, being a thinker, and more - or their opposites - as well as the accidents of life and our reactions to them, all of which collectively describe one’s unique persona.

I believe that Ethical Culture, by its nature, and by its membership and leadership (its nurture), is unparalleled in providing the welcome stimulation to my nature … in providing the panoply of keys that match to my personal receptors ... those gradations and the mix of attributes that define me, warts and all …the prickles, goodnesses and predilections.

In President Obama’s inauguration speech, he used a phrase: “to choose our better history.” I don’t know to what extent I chose my history by associating with ECS 40 years ago, as opposed to just happenstancing into it. I guess that I represent the “brute chance” for the change in the chemical soup of my adult life. But the whole of it all, as I said up front, comes to: “I had a fit.”

I believe I have grown as a result … and, hopefully, added something to ECS in return.

Joseph Addison has said: “Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.”

I believe that these too are given me by ECS.

I believe I am enriched thereby.

And I believe that to the extent that any of us wants to partake, the same is available to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment