Monday, December 07, 2009

Blythedale Children's Hospital: another Ethical Culture accomplishment


The corporate department in which I work circulated an internal flier asking employees to consider donating to one of two area children's hospitals in conjunction with its annual charity drive. The company generously matches employee contributions dollar for dollar, so it's a great use of one's personal donation funds.

I checked out both hospitals' websites before deciding. The history page of the Blythedale Children's Hospital (Valhalla, NY) begins thusly (my emphasis):

Blythedale's first recorded history dates back to 1891, when a group of women of the New York Ethical Culture Society began visiting shut-in children in New York City, furnishing them with clothing and food, as well as obtaining medical attention for them.

Slam dunk! Another in a long long of past charitable causes boot-strapped into existence by Ethical Culture. Because of this history that I hold so dear, I'll be giving them a little more than I would have otherwise. It doesn't render the other children's hospital any less worthy, but this one holds a personal connection for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment